A Historical Mountain Resort
The history of Arrowhead Pine Rose Cabins dates back to the turn of the 20th century. In the 1900’s, Twin Peaks was known as “Strawberry Flats”. This area was one of the few places in the Lake Arrowhead Communities that offered level ground. Recognized by the US Forest Service for its level and central location, the department settled the area to house its rangers and summer staff.
…Arrowhead Pine Rose Cabins dates back to the turn of the century
The mountain’s first year-around general store and post office were located on the ground beneath the Arrowhead Pine Rose Swimming Pool. An Indian Outpost close to that location was built in the 1930’s by the conservation corps to house their summer staff. The Winter Ski Chalet cabin was the former site of the first ranger’s house. Unfortunately, the log cabin was destroyed in a fire in the early 1960’s. A few of the original antique pieces can be discovered in a few of the cabins.
In 1948, after the general store and post office burnt down because of an electrical fire, Fred and Helen Dowd took over the lease from the US Forest service. They renamed the resort, “Arrowhead Road Resort” because Highway 189 was the only road to Lake Arrowhead. In the 1960’s the Dowd’s exchanged land with the US Forest service and began building more cabins. In 1989 Fred passed away. Helen, through the prompting of her children, decided to sell the resort to David and Tricia Dufour. Helen would retire in Arizona.
David and Tricia Dufour moved up to Twin Peaks in 1979. David was working as a general contractor when the resort became available. While visiting a friend in one of the cabins, Tricia met Helen, who offered to show her the grounds. Even though Tricia and David lived down the street from the resort for 13 years they had no idea the property was so expansive. They immediately fell in love with the knotty pine interiors and rustic charm. In January of 1993 they purchased the Arrowhead Road Resort. While on vacation in northern California several years earlier, Tricia found a pine cone that looked like a rose. She called it the “Pine Rose Tree”. However, she was disappointed to find out that those “Pine Rose Trees” wouldn’t grow in the Lake Arrowhead area. While purchasing the property she discovered her “Pine Rose Tree” on the corner of the property. It only seemed right to change the name of the property to Arrowhead Pine Rose Cabins. While the “Pine Rose” tree is actually a Deodar Cedar tree, the name “Pine Rose” stuck. The tree is located outside of the front office.
The cabins have become a labor of love for the Dufours. David does all the woodwork in the cabins and facilities and Tricia decorates the cabins with a seasonal touch. The couple hopes to create a place where families can come relax and enjoy nature. In 2002 Pine Rose lost over
180 pine trees to the destructive bark beetle. Because the property was formerly part of the US National Forest, many of the trees were several hundred years old. Some of the trees exceeded five feet in diameter. Yet, in just a few years, the forest has come back and is now healthier than ever. At that time, David decided to put in a pond and stream. In 2007 David added another pond and stream to create a wedding site for his daughter’s wedding. Pine Rose continues to add and improve its property. The resort provides a fun atmosphere for families as it has done for the past 60 years. We are appreciative of our guests who come year after year.
We hope you enjoy your stay.